There are many fun and easy ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine yo Stay Physically Active. Find ideas for activities to do with your family and ways to stay active in all four seasons.
Family Activities to Help You Exercise Being
physically active with your family is a great way to stay healthy and make exercise fun. Whether you play team sports with the whole family or take quick walks with your spouse, child or grandchild, you will be rewarded with better health and time together.
Here are some activity ideas for you to do with your grandchildren:
Babies and toddlers
- Take them for a walk with the stroller and on a bicycle. Don’t forget your helmets.
- Play games that make their bodies move: Wheels on the bus, Pretend to be animals and Hide and seek.
- Sign up for children’s gymnastics or yoga classes.
- Try swimming lessons for children.
School age children
- Walk to the park and push the swing.
- Jump rope together.
- Build a fort, inside or out.
- Play catch, football, basketball or soccer.
- Go swimming or cycling together.
- Play a fitness video game together and see who wins!
Teens and young adults
- Participate in activities that interest them. Try hiking, skating, or playing tennis.
- Go golfing or swimming. Invite them to join you in physical activities that require two people, such as tennis or table tennis.
- Ask them to help you out in the garden or with heavier chores.
Search Move Your Way: Tips for Staying Active as a Family on YouTube for more tips on staying active with your family.
Be physically active without spending a dime!
You don’t have to spend a fortune to be physically active. In fact, you can be active in many ways without spending any money. You don’t need any special exercise equipment other than comfortable walking shoes. Here are some ideas to help you get around for free:
- Make your own weights with household items like soup cans or water bottles.
- Try free demo exercise classes at your local senior center or gym.
- Take a trip to a park.
- Take part in fun community-sponsored rides or walks.
- Garden work like raking, digging and planting can keep you going.
- Make sure you drink water or fruit juice after exercising.
Share this infographic and help spread the word about how to get fit for free.
Find Ways to Stay Active Throughout the 4 Seasons
Being creative in your physical activity plans and trying new forms of exercise can keep you motivated by avoiding boredom. A change of season is a great time to get creative with your exercise routine and try something new. There are many ways to stay active throughout the year.
- When your grandchildren come, go snow-making or ice-skating together.
- Cold outside temperatures are a great reason to join a group walking around the mall.
- Start the new year by trying a gym; many offer special offers for the New Year’s resolution.
- Give your heart a Valentine’s gift with dance lessons, such as salsa, tango or belly dance.
- When temperatures start to rise, prepare your garden for spring and summer. The lifting and bending you do when gardening are great for strength and flexibility.
- A bike ride is a great way to enjoy the warmer temperatures.
- Everything can be fun with upbeat music, including spring cleaning!
- Build your stamina and strength with a bike ride during National Bike Month (May). Remember your helmet.
- Swim or take a water aerobics class. Both are refreshing when the weather gets humid.
- Walking around the mall is a great way to beat the heat.
- Now that the grandchildren aren’t in school for the summer, ask them to teach you their favorite sport or physical activity.
- Celebrate National Bowling Week the first week of August. Gather friends and family and challenge each other in a friendly tournament.
- If you’ve heard about the benefits of yoga but haven’t tried it yet, National Yoga Awareness Month in September is a great time to find special events and trial classes for beginners.
- When the weather starts to cool, join a league for indoor sports, such as basketball, handball or bowling.
- Autumn offers great opportunities for physical activity. You can take long walks to see the beautiful fall colors. Once the leaves have fallen, raking is good exercise.
- If you are busy for Christmas shopping, take a tour of the entire mall every time you are there.